Having received from the Lord the charge to heal the sick, the Church strives to carry it out by taking care of the sick; and accompanying them with her prayer of intercession.
Above all, the Church possesses a sacrament specifically intended for the benefit of the sick – the “Sacrament of Anointing”. It was instituted by Christ and is attested to by Saint James:
“Is anyone among you sick? Let him call in the presbyters of the Church and let them pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord” (James 5:14-15).
During the regularly scheduled, 5:00pm Mass on Saturday, September 29th, our parish will be offering the “Sacrament of Anointing”. This sacrament is intended for:
· Anyone who is seriously ill, including seriously sick children who are old enough to experience the sacramental benefits;
· Individuals about to undergo surgery due to a serious illness;
· The elderly, suffering the maladies of old age; and
· All individuals who are chronically ill or permanently disabled.
If you, or a family member, fit any of the descriptions above, we encourage you to register your name; attend this Mass; and receive an anointing. All you need do is:
Call the Rectory Office (313) 532-4394;
Register your name by Wednesday, September 26th;
And attend the Mass on September 29th.
Part of God’s plan for each of us is that we should fight strenuously against all sickness; and carefully seek His blessings for good health. This special Mass on September 29, along with the Sacrament of Anointing, provide an opportunity to do just that.
– St. Valentine Worship Commission