The Third Sunday of Advent is often referred to as Gaudete (“Rejoice”) Sunday. The title comes from the beginning of the Latin introit for this Sunday, “Gaudete in Domino semper: iterum dico, gaudete” (“Rejoice in the Lord; again I say, rejoice,” Philippians 4:4, from the second reading for this Sunday).
With only one more Sunday before Christmas, the liturgy takes on a more eager and urgent sense of anticipation. The option of rose vestments and a rose candle for the third candle of the Advent wreath help heighten this emphasis. It is not surprising that the verbs “sing” and “rejoice” (synonyms for a musician) are heard over and over in the readings for this Sunday.
Right from the first reading, we hear this note of rejoicing from the prophet Isaiah. He is rejoicing because God had shielded him in all the ways.
Paul, in the second reading, begins by telling us what we must do at all times. “Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you” (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18). At all times and in all circumstances we must rejoice, pray and give thanks. He adds that this command reflects the will of God for those who come to Him through Jesus Christ. As followers of Christ we know that life on earth is not always rosy, but life after death is bliss. Our hope is not in this life only. That is why we are able to rejoice in good times and in bad, as Jesus himself did.
Paul invites us to be holy. The life of holiness to which Paul invites us this Advent is the life of God in us. It is God in us who makes it happen. Our part is mainly to say yes to God, to surrender totally to Him. It is hard for us to live a life of rejoicing always, but the One who calls us to this life is one who always gives us what He commands. He is faithful, and He will do it in our lives.
Waiting for The Lord.
St. Valentine Parish Council Meeting Minutes – Tuesday, November 21, 2017
Selection of New Officers:
Chair/Vice Chair : Mary Anthony and Ron Fron discuss and decided that Ron would be Council Chair and Mary would be Vice. There was no objection
● Gym was open for the dates discussed in previous meetings (Lisa to send dates)
● Ideas for events
○ Silent Auction (Is this event sustainable every year?)
○ Craft Show (OLL is doing in 2018, St. Valentine will consider in years that OLL are not)
○ Dinner dance (Didn’t raise enough by itself, but was good source of fellowship)
○ Raffle (Action Item: Ron to explore possible arrangement with local dealership)
○ Horse Racing (Action Item: Ron to discuss with Mike Kelly)
· Synod – Father has implored the council to read the Synod letter as it contains a lot of directives that need to be addressed in coming years
● The Parish Mission Statement needs to be addressed in 2019
● Fr. Socorro has selected the 5 people to attend seminar for leadership
● 16 new altar servers have been trained (10 from the school and 6 from Faith Formation)
● Committee meeting met last month
● We are about 2% to the good on the budget so far this fiscal year
● We have paid down $22,000 from the debt so far this fiscal year
● Total debt is now ~$260,000
● The committee will produce a 1 page summary for the parish in the coming months
● The council agreed that this was a success story that needs to be shared more with parish as a whole
● Mike asked council members to take advantage of the many activities during Advent
· “Lessons and Carols” service will be held on January 7, 2018 at 7:00 PM.
● December meeting will be changed to the second Tuesday due to the school choir concert on the third Tuesday
● Jeff indicated that he was involved in the Confirmation Retreat that our confirmation class attended at St. Kenneth. There were 18 attendees from St. Valentine who along with their teacher (Megan) represented our parish very well. We should be proud of this group.
· Frank wished to thank the school for installing enthusiasm for the Blessed Fr. Solanus Casey. His grandson watched the entire mass with enthusiasm. Great Job to the school for installing this enthusiasm.
Next Meeting is December 12 – 7:30 PM